The SEVEN

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do
(Luke 23:34).

Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise
(Luke 23:43).

Woman, behold your son: behold your mother
(John 19:26-27).

My God, My God, why have you forsaken me
(Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).

I thirst (John 19:28).

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit
(Luke 23:46).

It is finished (John 19:30).



Friday, February 15, 2013

On The First Last Word: Forgiveness

"Father forgive them, for they know not what  they do,"
Let Jesus cry we say, we in silence would wear our suffering,
lips pursed thin, tight, fearsome eyes
piercing, none dare look upon, jaw set,
unforgiveness exhaled, every breath reeking of it.
Let Jesus take the hurt, the pain, the pain like death,
forgiveness his business, take it all, Jesus,
we'll none of it,
ours to carve into our souls in bitter memory,
lest we forget, and again,
and again in a moment, weak and warm,
allow. Relent. Accede. No.
No. And so we lose ourselves
our pain, our only wisdom;
lost and yearning for the still waters,
the peace, the peace,
remembering what was, once.
Find us there lamenting, Lord,
forgive us until our our own hearts yield.


No comments:

Post a Comment