The SEVEN

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do
(Luke 23:34).

Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise
(Luke 23:43).

Woman, behold your son: behold your mother
(John 19:26-27).

My God, My God, why have you forsaken me
(Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).

I thirst (John 19:28).

Father, into your hands I commit my spirit
(Luke 23:46).

It is finished (John 19:30).



Tuesday, February 12, 2013

FIRST WORD

"Forgiveness"

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do
(
Luke 23:34).

The first of the seven last words is "Forgiveness"
more than flowers, flowers fade
and memory's dull ache remains
and remembrances raw the wound,
the arrogance of not forgetting as if the gulf
between brain and heart, a canyon, not a crevice.
Would you advocate for them?
Pray?
Not for what they've done, deserving nothing. Nothing.
But for God, an act of faith
moving mountains, uprooting trees into the the sea,
the enormity of it all, the power in weakness
transforming us, forgiving them,
until our soul sings the songs of Zion
without remorse?
To see like that
waiting there,  hanging there, not so far to be out of reach?

No comments:

Post a Comment